Thursday, March 1, 2007

On Assignment Review

In last week’s post I spoke regarding the content of Christian novels and the responsibility of the author. To further this conversation I would like to include content in terms of writing for the youth.

At a convention last year there was much spoken on the wave of YA (young adult/teen) books that would be published this year. I can still remember the wave of concern that swept over me as I considered what the content of these books might be.

As predicted the market is seeing an influx of books marketed in the YA genre. Some I have concerns about. Others, I have found to be quite entertaining and insightful. What is disturbing to me is the semi-negative press I feel the more positive books have received.

Over the next few months I hope to provide a review of some of the books I believe are worth the expense and experience.

If you have comments or suggestions of books for Young Adults, your responses are welcome. Please remember this is a forum for discussion, not for bashing others.

Linda!

Remember, There is no such thing as an acceptable loss in God's Kingdom!


Divine Confidential

Author -- Jacquelin Thomas

IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS


Ignorance: 1) a lack of knowledge; 2) a willful lack of desire to improve the efficiency, merit, effectiveness or usefulness of one's actions; 3) the state of being ignorant/unaware

Bliss: A state of extreme happiness

For Divine Matthews-Hardison, the combined definitions above become a painful lesson learned.

In this sequel to Simply Divine, we find the self-proclaimed 15-year-old diva and new Christian, ready to resume her life in Temple, Georgia with her Aunt, Uncle and cousins.

As mature as she believes she is, Divine finds that her determination to be the object of worship by her 'boo' can have catastrophic consequences.

In spite of sound advice dispensed by family and friends, we see the head-strong protagonist forge ahead with her plans for bliss, believing she knows what is best for her life. She will soon find that her plans, although seemingly sound, have many flaws.

Although a story of fiction, through the family setting, Author Thomas does a great job of portraying the consequence of choice by teens overwhelmed with raging hormones, peer pressure and personal insecurities. Open dialogue between the characters is realistic and speaks to unasked questions of children in need of answers.

In a world where teen promiscuity and allowance of self-governing is viewed as acceptable, there will be many who will take exception to the content of this book. I find the message in Divine Confidential refreshing and believe it will be of value to many standing at the crossroad of indecision.

Kudos for a job well done.

1 comment:

E.R. Carpenter said...

I really get annoyed when people tell me they let their kids read street lit or erotica. Even school teachers have told me they assigned books like "The Coldest Winter Ever" for school assignments, which contains all kinds of sex, violence, and drug usage. "At least they're reading," some people say. "They're going to read this stuff anyway," others chime in.

I'm not one of those people who believes reading street lit will propel teens to read other genres. I think they will get an appetite for more street lit and continue reading it. I have nothing against the street lit or erotica authors. I just wish people wouldn't target youths with the books. My own novel "Where is the Love" has some very adult content. I was very upset when parents told me they let their teens read the novel meant for the 18 and over crowd. The money is not worth the heavy burden on my conscience.